Moon Man Flan
File No. :484
Soft and smooth flan made with simple ingredients.
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2-3 tbsp of water
- pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk or coconut milk
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) Moon Man Kaya Jam of your choice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ramekins / heat resistant glass containers
- Start by prepping the container by greasing the sides with butter.
- Make the caramel sauce: Put 4 tbsp of sugar, 1 tbsp of water, and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Heat it up over low to medium heat until it reached a nice golden amber color. Take it off the heat and splash 1-2 tbsp of hot water to stop it from cooking.
- Put a layer of caramel at the bottom of the ramekin. Don't put all of them in, just about 1/8" layer at the bottom would be enough. You can save the rest of the caramel as an extra sauce later.
- Make the flan mixture: Mix kaya jam with milk or coconut milk and 2 tbsp of sugar in a saucepan. Heat it up over medium heat and whisk to combine. In a separate container, whisk the eggs.
- When the milk mixture in the saucepan is lukewarm (not boiling), slowly mix them up into the egg mixture while whisking. Combine it and pass it through a strainer to remove lumps and bubbles.
- Pour this batter into the ramekin and cover each one with aluminum foil.
- Boil the water in the steamer, and turn your stove to low to medium heat. Steam these foil-covered ramekins for 25 minutes covered.
- After 25 minutes, take these ramekins out of the steamer, and let them cool. You can put them in the fridge overnight as well to let them cool.
- To serve, slowly remove the edges of the flan from the ramekin, flip it around on a serving plate and enjoy.
- Optional: You can serve this flan with a dollop of whipped cream and berries.